Once you’ve your tattoo the hard part is over, but your work isn’t. To help the healing process and protect your new tattoo’s colour and shape, tattoo aftercare is just as important as having the tattoo created.
First 3 days after getting your tattoo
- Remove the film within 24 hours and wash your tattoo gently with water making sure all the dry plasma and blood is washed off.
- After pat your new tattoo dry with clean tissue and let air dry for 10-15 minutes before applying a thin layer of your aftercare balm provided by your tattooist.
- Do not over lubricate your tattoo you don’t want it to dry out but a thin layer is just the right amount.
- Repeat this for the next 3 days 3 times a day.
- Do not re bandage unless advised to by your tattooist and wear loose clothes on the tattooed area so it can breathe and heal.
- Always wash your hands before touching your new tattoo to avoid it getting infected.
- While bathing wash your new tattoo with water but do not soak your new tattoo for longer than 5 minutes.
From day 4 after getting your tattoo
- You no longer need to wash your tattoo daily, you can continue to use the aftercare balm if you feel its needed.
- From the 4th day your new tattoo with begin to scab over, when this happens the scabs need to peel away from the skin naturally, if the scab comes off before its ready to it will take the ink with it as at this point the ink is attached to the scab and not embedded in the skin fully.
- Resist picking or scratching at the tattoo no matter how itchy it is.
Things to remember
- Do not let anyone touch your new tattoo as this could add bacteria to your tattoo and it could become infected.
- Do not soak your tattoo, stay out of pools, hot tubs, the ocean etc.
- Do not expose your tattoo to direct sunlight or a tanning bed as this could fade your new tattoo.
- Be careful when exercising not to knock off any scabs during the healing process (Best to wait until the scabbing stage is over).
If you follow the aftercare sheet and take good care of your new tattoo you shouldn’t need any touch up work done to your new tattoo. However if you need a touch up done it will be decided by your tattoo artist at The Artz by American Dan & you’ll be charged at their discretion.
Happy healing from The Artz Team Team